The Jimenez environmental promenade: Bogota past, present and future On foot – Things to Do and See in Bogotá, Colombia – Must see attractions in Bogotá, Colombia
. It marks the northern end of the historic center It was built over the old San Francisco River running east to west down from the Andes to join the Bogotá River, a larger river which in the early days was the natural city boundary. The old Herb Market, now Parque Santander on the other side of the river became a center of urban development. This section of the city is an outstanding example of a public space and urban history recovery endeavour.
Located right in the heart of the Bogota downtown area, the avenida Jimenez is a broad walking cobblestone strip outflanked by old and magnificent history loaded buildings for years hidden away behind the chaotic jumble of pedestrians and motor vehicles crossing up and down the street. From the old tramway up to the up to date TransMilenio System, this street gradually tells the development of the Bogota city transportation.
Two options are at visitor’s reach to begin a tour:
- 1. On a west-east fashion, walking by the canal collecting the San Francisco River waters.
- 2. On an east-west fashion, starting at Quinta de Bolivar and going along the walkway down up to carrera 10.
Churches, religious complexes, squares, monuments and even the remains of old bridges crossing the river in ancient times. This river was the source of the first Bogota aqueduct, and was the axis between the south and north areas of the city. You will pass by the historic place were Jorge Eliecer Gaitan, a popular leader was assassinated. His death, in april 1948, triggered the so called Bogotazo uprising leading to thousands of deaths and and wounded.
I. Eastern sector, begins at Plazoleta del Chorro de Quevedo.
- Antonio Narino square (former San Victorino)
- Cubillos Building
- Pedro A. Lopez Building
- San Francisco Palace
- Carrera 7 Avenida Jiménez crossing remains of the old tramway rails
- Carrera 7, southwestern corner the place were political leader Jorge Eliecer Gaitan was assassinated
- San Francisco Church
- Veracruz Church. Panteon de los Martires de la Independencia. Independence Martyrs Pantheon
- Church of the third Franciscan Order.
- Santander Park
- Banco de la República Building
- Museo del Oro, Gold Museum
- Casona del Museo
- Jockey Club Building.
- Nuestra Señora del Rosario Cloister and la Bordadita Chapel
- Park of the News Reporters and shrine to el Libertador (The park, was inaugurated in 1883 to celebrate the first centenary of Simon Bolivar’s birth)
II. Avianca Building
- Remains of the old bridge over the San Francisco River.
- Building housing the Academia Colombiana de la Lengua Cra 3 # 17-34 © Monument to la Pola (Policarpa Salavarrieta)
- Las Aguas Church and cloister, home to Artesanías de Colombia Cra 3 # 18-66
- House – Museum Quinta de Bolívar
- Los Andes University
- Note: To end your tour, a visit to Montserrat is suggested. The funicular station going up to Monserrate is close to Quinta de Bolívar
Tours & Tickets in Bogotá Colombia
➡ Discover more about Colombia: Cali Colombia, is known by the rest Colombia as the “Rumba Capital” and by the world as the “Salsa Capital”
|BOGOTA TRAVEL GUIDE|
If you’re travelling to Bogotá Colombia, we help you:
Travel To Colombia – Tourism Website of Colombia
Practical information about Colombia: Climate – How to get to Colombia – Visa, Customs, Documentation and Taxes – Embassies and consulates in Colombia – Health and vaccination – Emergency numbers – Culture of Colombia – Measures and Electricity – Currency of Colombia
Tourist Information about Colombia: General Information – Practical information about Colombia – Adventure Colombia – Hotels and accommodations in Colombia – How to Get to Colombia – Gastronomy in Colombia – Colombia’s Best Festivals and Carnivals – Tourist Attractions in Colombia – Foreign Embassies and Consulates in Colombia – Tips and advice for travel in Colombia – Top 10 Colombian Travel Destinations – Natural regions of Colombia – Cultural Tourism in Colombia – UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage Lists – UNESCO Heritage Sites in Colombia – Top 10 amazing places to visit in Colombia – Colombian Cuisine – Tourism of Nature
Flights, Cheap Airfare Deals & Plane Tickets