Check the vaccines and medicines list and visit your doctor (ideally, 4-6 weeks) before your trip to get vaccines or medicines you may need
It is important to be aware of potential risks when travelling. The most common illnesses in Colombia are acute altitude sickness, stomach problems, and in jungle areas malaria and yellow fever.
You must be vaccinated against yellow fever at least 15 days before departure to these departments:
Santander, Norte de Santander, Bolivar, Boyaca, Huila, Arauca, Caquetá, Casanare, Cesar, Guainía, Guaviare, La Guajira, Meta, Putumayo, Vichada, Amazonas and Vaupés., The vaccine is not suitable for people with HIV, pregnant women and children under 6 months of age, among others. To visit nature parks or wilderness areas other vaccines, such as tetanus and hepatitis A and B are also recommended. Visitors from countries offering a dengue vaccine should have it applied before traveling if visiting sites below 1,800 m.
Medical care and purchase of medicines
Those wishing to visit Colombia should buy travel insurance giving them medical and emergency hospital care coverage. As regards medication and prescription drugs, these can be obtained without restriction in drugstores and pharmacies. You should verify that the package has the date of expiry and price printed on it.
Tap water is only safe to drink and use for cooking in Bogota. Other capital cities have very good water supply services, with water that can be used for bathing. In rural areas and small towns it is advisable to buy bottled water or in treatment plants.
Health recommendations for travelers
- When coughing or sneezing, cover your nose and mouth with a tissue or handkerchief. If they are unavailable, cough into the inner elbow area of your arm, but never cough or sneeze into your hand.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water before and after eating, coughing or sneezing and using the bathroom.
- If you do not have soap and water available, apply hand sanitizer containing at least 60% alcohol.
- Drink only properly treated or bottled water.
- Avoid consumption of ice, unless it is made from drinking water.
- Protect yourself from the sun using sunscreen, sunglasses and/or hats.
- To reduce the risk of insect bites, use repellents and/or nets.
- If bitten or scratched by an animal, wash the wound with abundant soap and water. If the immunization status of the animal or a wild animal is unknown, seek medical attention.
- Acquire alcoholic beverages (spirits) in authorized places.
- Avoid purchasing food and alcoholic beverages (spirits) from street vendors.
- Avoid raw foods other than fruits and vegetables that can be peeled, and avoid fruits with damaged skin.
- Avoid eating raw seafood.
Tours & Tickets in Colombia
|COLOMBIA TRAVEL GUIDE|
If you’re travelling to Colombia, we help you:
Practical information about Colombia: Climate – How to get to Colombia – Visa, Customs, Documentation and Taxes – Embassies and consulates in Colombia – Health and vaccination – Emergency numbers – Culture of Colombia – Measures and Electricity – Currency of Colombia
Tourist Information about Colombia: General Information – Practical information about Colombia – Adventure Colombia – Hotels and accommodations in Colombia – How to Get to Colombia – Gastronomy in Colombia – Colombia’s Best Festivals and Carnivals – Tourist Attractions in Colombia – Foreign Embassies and Consulates in Colombia – Tips and advice for travel in Colombia – Top 10 Colombian Travel Destinations – Natural regions of Colombia – Cultural Tourism in Colombia – UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage Lists – UNESCO Heritage Sites in Colombia – Top 10 amazing places to visit in Colombia – Colombian Cuisine – Tourism of Nature
Travel Guide of Colombia: Colombia Travel Guide – Amazonas – Antioquia – Arauca – Atlántico – Bolivar – Boyacá – Caldas – Caquetá – Casanare – Cauca – Cesar – Chocó – Córdoba – Cundinamarca – Guanía – Guaviare – Huila – La Guajira – Magdalena – Meta – Nariño – Norte de Santander – Putumayo – Quindio – Risaralda – San Andrés y Providencia – Santander – Sucre – Tolima – Valle del Cauca – Vaupés – Vichada
Flights, Cheap Airfare Deals & Plane Tickets