You can book various excursions in all accommodations, or you get the appropriate contact at least. The island is so small that all residents know each other personally. Above all, various boat tours cover most attractions.
. One of the best travel experiences you’ll have is meeting the islanders. They are friendly, smiling people, as well as music and gastronomy lovers. Also, they are always ready to share the secrets of island life with tourists.
- Wear comfortable and light clothing to enjoy the warm climate in the Colombian Caribbean Sea (28°C on average). Also, bring a cap or hat and sunscreen in a suitcase.
- All of the beaches in Providencia are pretty great to be honest, and you’ll have a lovely time at any of them, but there are a few little differences which are worth knowing about.
- Bring sandals, flip flops, and proper shoes to walk on the hot sand, as well as to get into the water to avoid burning or cutting your feet with the rocky surfaces and corals.
- Nightlife on Providencia: As far as I know, the nightlife is limited to Roland Roots Reggae Bar & Restaurant and Freshwater Bay, where you can sometimes find live bands or even celebrate parties.
- Remember to take private transportation that picks you up at the airport and takes you to your accommodation.
- Food on Providencia: On Providencia, of course, the specialty is everything that comes from the sea. There are the black crabs, which are considered an absolute delicacy by the islanders. Then also sea snails are prepared, which are so tough in their original form, that they must be cooked for hours. As a finished dish, the sea snails are quite tasty.
- The airport of Providencia, El Embrujo airport, has only one connection with San Andres. However, it should be possible to fly with private machines. Besides Satena, which flies twice a day, there are other providers. The flight time is about 15 minutes and you can arrive the same day from Bogota and Cartagena.
- There is no shortage of seafood in this Caribbean paradise. So, if you’re a seafood lover (like us) then take full advantage of the fresh seafood on offer!
- As already explained, the island lacks investment. So there are not many accommodations that I can really recommend. Personally, I have always stayed with a family. In so-called Posadas, you get beds, rooms with air conditioning and breakfast for a reasonable price.
- Cash machines on Providencia: There are 2 ATMs on Providencia, both of which are located in Santa Isabel in the north of the island. During our visit there were no problems to get cash, as it is often the case in South America.
- A kind of festival is the time of the black crabs. Between April and June, the crabs march towards the sea to lay eggs. After 20 days, the offspring marches back from the sea to the forests of the island. You have to be careful on the streets, because they are full of creepy-crawlies and it may be that sometimes even driving bans are pronounced. At the same time, the military is also sending soldiers to guard the crabs with their rifles.
Tours & Tickets in Providencia Colombia
|Providencia and Santa Catalina Islands Travel Guide|
If you’re travelling to Providencia and Santa Catalina Islands Colombia, we help you:
Practical information about Colombia: Climate – How to get to Colombia – Visa, Customs, Documentation and Taxes – Embassies and consulates in Colombia – Health and vaccination – Emergency numbers – Culture of Colombia – Measures and Electricity – Currency of Colombia
Tourist Information about Colombia: General Information – Practical information about Colombia – Adventure Colombia – Hotels and accommodations in Colombia – How to Get to Colombia – Gastronomy in Colombia – Colombia’s Best Festivals and Carnivals – Tourist Attractions in Colombia – Foreign Embassies and Consulates in Colombia – Tips and advice for travel in Colombia – Top 10 Colombian Travel Destinations – Natural regions of Colombia – Cultural Tourism in Colombia – UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage Lists – UNESCO Heritage Sites in Colombia – Top 10 amazing places to visit in Colombia – Colombian Cuisine – Tourism of Nature
Flights, Cheap Airfare Deals & Plane Tickets